Fjord Coffee Roasters Berlin is searching for a dedicated and passionate individual for the position of Head Roaster.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about coffee, is systems focused, has a strong understanding of sensory evaluation and roasting methods, and has experience with roasting.
We approach coffee roasting as a craft, constantly looking to grow our experience and knowledge in order to become the best roasters in Europe. Fjord’s purpose is to facilitate the correlation between high quality coffee consumption and sustainable coffee production, so that the true value of specialty coffee is realised along the supply chain.
Our team is comprised of coffee professionals from across the globe, who share a common passion for sourcing and sharing coffees that educate and inspire. We believe in and maintain a workplace that promotes respect, inclusion, diversity and equal opportunity.
The Head Roaster role will have a large amount of autonomy and creative liberty, working hand in hand with the roastery manager and green buyer to create and maintain our coffee menu.
The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic, and a commitment to helping grow the company and train other assistant roasters. We are looking for a positive person with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who is a self-starter.
- Develop and maintain roast profiles for all the brand’s products
- Train and help recruit assistant roasters
- Give support and constructive feedback to other team members
- Open to constructive feedback
- Contribute to the growth of the company, keeping our inventory management and roast style concurrent with our mission
- Maintain the roasting equipment and keep running dialogue with the Roastery Manager for issues that need to be addressed
- Be organized, following all policies and state procedures for roasting safety
- Create and develop profiles for all new releases, that highlights the quality and origin of each coffee
- Update and adjust roasting profiles according to how coffee ages and tastes
- Fulfil all orders in a timely manner
- Manage quality control and schedule tastings with staff and management.
- Available to be on-site of Roastery, and on-call for emergencies
Qualifications and skills:
- 2+ years of roasting experience
- Experience in sensory evaluation and working with scoresheets (Q-Grader is a bonus)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Willingness to share skills and train others effectively
- Good organization and project management skills
- Must be authorized to work in Germany
- Availability to work overtime when necessary
- Proficient and effective communication skills in English (German is a plus)
Physical Requirements (to perform essential functions of this job):
- Ability to keep calm and be focused in a loud, busy environment.
- Be able to interpret, follow instructions, and write correspondence and reports.
- Follow recipes strictly.
- Competent in the use of emails, spreadsheets and other online applications.
- Be able to use packaging equipment.
- Able to do moderate physical work, push, pull or lift heavy items and withstand temperatures over 30 degrees Celsius.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please send a one page cover letter and your Curriculum Vitae (CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants who are not authorized to work in Germany are unable to be considered for the position